Sunday, January 22, 2012

Stuff

Finally got to talk to my mom about Penny #1. She's always very busy and hadn't had time to read it until a few weeks ago. She had a few little edits for me, but nothing major, which was a bit surprising - I thought she'd be a lot more critical. The one word she didn't seem to like me using was "stuff". It actually made me laugh the number of times she pointed it out, saying it sounded juvenile, when it was usually part of a character's dialogue. I try not to edit when people are speaking, only because it's the way people speak. Not everyone can form perfect sentences every time they open their mouthes, so it would make sense that Odette would say something like "Yeah, I know it's weird and stuff, but I'm cool with it." Actually, I did use the word "stuff" where I could have used the word "shit", but I think there's enough swearing in the book already LOL! She said she really liked the book overall, and she reads all the time, so she's got a good handle on things.

Anyway, I'm feeling a bit more confident now that I have her approval. Its not that I need it, but it's nice to have all the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment